Learn How to Apply for GI Bill Benefits With Our Help

Learn How To Apply For Eligibility Assistance With Our Guide

We Provide a Free Guide

Our FREE guide provides helpful information about how to apply for benefits. Learn more about us here.

Clear & Simple
Free and easy
Get the Guide

Education benefits that are distributed by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are funded by the GI Bill. This can include benefits earned by members of the Active Duty, Selected Reserve and National Guard Armed Forces and their families. Using these benefits, eligible service members and veterans can have the cost of their education or work training subsidized by the federal government. Veterans can use their GI Bill Benefits for a variety of training and education options, such as:

  • Associate, Bachelor or graduate degree programs.
  • Technical or vocational schools and other non-degree programs.
  • Apprenticeships and on-the-job training.
  • Reimbursement for the cost of earning licensing and certification.
  • Work-study programs.
  • Correspondence training (coursework completed by mail).

Benefits from the GI Bill can be used to pay the cost of tuition, housing and books and supplies. Typically, the full tuition amount given to beneficiaries is equal to the maximum national average. Similarly, the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on the cost of living where the veteran opts to go to school. Funding for books and school supplies usually comes out to about $1,000 per school year.

Note: In certain cases, dependents and spouses of veterans may be eligible to receive GI Bill education benefits, as well

Learn About Requirements for GI Bill Benefits

This bill distributes these education benefits through a few different programs such as the Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bill. Benefits from both of these programs can be utilized for the same education and training opportunities. While both options offer education benefits to retired service members, most find that the Post 9/11 GI Bill better serves their education needs. One of the main reasons why many veterans choose the Post 9/11 GI Bill is due to the differences in eligibility requirements between the two programs. Because veterans can only enroll in one of these GI Bill programs, retired service members should review the requirements below and choose the program that is best for them.

What are the Montgomery GI Bill requirements?

Reservists and service members who enroll in the Montgomery GI Bill can pay $100 each month for the first year that they are in active duty. Those who elected to make contributions from their military pay and are a part of the VEAP program may also be eligible for Montgomery GI Bill benefits. Before applying, service members must have completed high school or received an equivalency certificate such as a GED. After they complete the minimum service obligation and receive an honorable discharge from active duty, these retired military members may be eligible to receive their monthly education benefits.

What are the Post 9/11 GI Bill requirements?

On the other hand, Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility requirements do not require active duty personnel or veterans to make any payments while serving in the military. Instead, the guidelines to qualify for this program are mostly based on the amount of time served in active duty. To meet the requirements, a veteran must have served a combined total of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001. Alternatively, a veteran who received a discharge due to a service-linked disability may be eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits after 30 days of continuous service after September 10, 2001. In both cases, veterans must have received an honorable discharge at the end of their service in order to qualify. Veterans with discharges other than honorable do not qualify for this program.

How to Apply for the GI Bill

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) sets the requirements for these programs. You can check whether you qualify by using the eligibility checker tool on the VA’s website. If you believe you meet these criteria, you can begin to gather the necessary documents for the application. Some of the documents and information that is required includes:

  • You Social Security Number.
  • The direct deposit information for the bank account you wish to use for GI Bill benefits.
  • Documents that include information about your full education and military history.
  • General information about the school or training institution you wish to attend or are currently attending.

Once you have all of the required information and documents, there are a few methods you can use to submit your application. Each method has advantages and disadvantages, so you should use the method that is most convenient for you. If you are an eligible veteran or service member, you can apply for the GI Bill online, by mail, in person or with the help of a certified professional.

How to Apply by Mail

If you need to request a GI Bill application, you can call the VA regional claims processing office during their office hours and they will send one to you by mail. There are different regional offices that serve different states. You can find contact information and business hours for the office serving your state by visiting the VA’s website and using the interactive map located on the Regional Offices Website page.

You can also download and print out VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits. You can search for the form using the VA’s Find a Form tool on its website.

Once an application has been completed and submitted, it typically takes an average of 30 days for the VA to process your application and make a decision.

How to Apply in Person

If you think that you may need assistance in filling out your application for GI Bill benefits, you can choose to go to a VA regional benefit office and get help from a VA employee. These employees can help you gather necessary information, find a school or training program for you to enroll in and answer any questions you may have about the program. You can search for an office near you using the “Find VA Locations” tool located on the VA’s website.

You can also usually find a certified official at your school’s Registrar or Financial Aid office who may be able to help you complete your application.

How much are GI Bill benefits?

Depending on the specific program, you may receive a varying amount of GI Bill benefits. If you are a beneficiary of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you can receive anywhere between 40 percent and 100 percent of the maximum national average tuition. You will be eligible for a higher percentage the more time you served in Active Duty. For every six months you serve, your benefits will increase by 15 percent until you reach the maximum tuition amount after two years. Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits may also cover your BAH and even offer a one-time relocation fee if you have to move to attend school. In most cases, you will receive 36 months of benefits that can be used at any point within a 15-year period after you retire from Active Duty.

Note: Since the passing of the Forever GI Bill there is no GI Bill expiration date on benefits if your service ended on or after January 1, 2013.

For the Montgomery GI Bill, your benefits will vary depending on your enrollment status (whether you are a full-time, half-time or a part-time student). If you are on Active Duty, you will only be able to receive reimbursement for the actual cost of tuition and expenses. Once you retire, you will receive the full payment rate no matter how much your tuition costs.